Careers | Customs and Compliance Manager
Have you ever wondered how the discount retailers manage to stock the well known brands at a bargain price? How the online prices can differ so much to the same product available in stores?
In the lively and competitive FMCG arena, Pricecheck has long established relationships with many brand owners and major suppliers, sourcing world famous brands which we then sell and distribute to a range of different outlets. We understand business – we buy and sell quality products, whilst appreciating the market and getting to know exactly what our customers want. This simple and driven approach has seen us develop trade in 82 countries and we continue to explore new categories, markets, services and territories.
And we’re getting it right too – we were awarded the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade and have recently been named in the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200, Sunday Times BDO Profit Track 100 and in the London Stock Exchange’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain in 2018 and again in 2019.
We supply thousands of product lines across all FMCG categories – we never know where our next partnership will take us, making for a fast paced, diverse and exciting place to work.
In this newly created role, you will lead our international logistics team (currently 3 people) to further strengthen our customs and international trade operation. Our Customs and Compliance Manager will ensure that we have the correct certification, legalities and internal processes required to ensure compliance as the business continues to grow.
As the subject matter expert in this field, you will be self motivated to keep up to date with industry and customs changes. Whilst this role will be instrumental in continuing our Brexit preparations, the role is so much more than that – with a varied and interesting workload, every day will provide you with a different challenge and we are looking for somebody to take this function on as their own. We are already registered for SIVA and REX but we are currently working towards CFSP, AEO and Customs Warehousing. This role will manage this continuing project and expand upon it.
This role can also be expanded to include responsibility for compliance systems relating to our licensed trade in medical and alcohol products. Full training will be provided for these additional duties.
Business function : Support
Department : International Logistics
Reports to : Finance Director
Job type : Full time, Permanent
Location : Office based - S20, Sheffield
• Managing the International Logistics department.
• Maintaining suitable procedures and records to demonstrate control of imports and exports to meet various compliance audits and other company standards.
• Providing subject matter expert advice and establishing requirements to prioritise and direct activity.
• Using up to date knowledge to review current practices and implement new and improved ways of working, introducing your own internal audit systems.
• Developing and delivering training to colleagues relating to trade compliance and emerging developments.
• Working with the finance team to proactively identify opportunities to reduce custom/import tax costs and mitigate risk.
• Building excellent working relationships with HRMC, DIT, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce, Sheffield International Trade Centre, third party consultants and other external regulatory bodies to continue best practice procedures.
• Lead on projects such as Brexit, bonded warehousing, licenses, accreditations etc, to provide advice and solutions.
• Providing support to the International Logistics team when needed, including holiday cover for day to day importing and exporting requirements.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar role with compliance disciplines, customs matters and knowledge in UK import and export controls
• Relevant, professional qualification in international trade, for example ITOPS, CILT etc
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a critical eye for detail
• Sound commercial awareness and understanding of business drivers
• Commitment to continuous development, for self and the business
• Working knowledge of Incoterms 2020
• As you will be joining a small team, a willingness to get stuck in is definitely required!
• Experience of customs declarations
• Experience in working with hazardous goods
• The role may require occasional travel so a driving license would be advantageous
What’s in it for you
• Competitive starting salary
• Automatic enrolment into our company Pension Scheme
• Westfield health cash plan
• Access to all products in stock with staff discount
• Ongoing training and development opportunities
As we grow the team at Pricecheck, we want a certain kind of person to grow with us too. If you join us with a solid work ethic and clear ambition, along with a willingness to work hard and push yourself, progression opportunities at Pricecheck are a plenty.
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, applications without a covering letter will not be considered.