Careers | Buying Fast Track
Have you ever wondered how the discount retailers manage to stock the well known brands at a bargain price? How the online prices can differ so much to the same product available in stores?
In the lively and competitive FMCG arena, Pricecheck has long established relationships with many brand owners and major suppliers, sourcing world famous brands which we then sell and distribute to a range of different outlets.
We understand business – we buy and sell quality products, whilst appreciating the market and getting to know exactly what our customers want. This simple and driven approach has seen us develop trade in 82 countries and we continue to explore new categories, markets, services and territories.
And we’re getting it right too – we were awarded the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in International Trade and have recently been named in the Sunday Times HSBC International Track 200, Sunday Times BDO Profit Track 100 and in the London Stock Exchange’s 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain in 2018 and again in 2019.
We supply thousands of product lines across all FMCG categories – we never know where our next partnership will take us, making for a fast paced, diverse and exciting place to work.
Following a whistle stop tour of the business in your early days with Pricecheck, you will then work through a rotation of in-depth training across different business functions to gain an appreciation of how the buying function fully operates.
Starting behind the scenes and getting to grips with the product itself, you will spend time with the distribution and quality control teams who oversee the purchases coming in to our warehouse. You will then follow this by getting to know our bespoke systems in order to create, update and maintain product records to provide an accurate representation of the stock we hold. Liaising with the Buyers, you will manage the administration behind our purchases - from accurate purchase order entry, stock photography, product analysis and descriptions.
We recognise that a Pricecheck Buyer is most effective when they fully understand the business as a whole – therefore, it is imperative to understand how we sell the product too. As part of the Sales Support team, you will assist an International Account Manager to match the right product with the right customer, together generating business and increasing turnover – getting a buzz from a good sale gives a great indication of a potential passionate Buyer too!
Moving across to the wider buying team, you will then take on the below responsibilities which will naturally progress into the role of Buyer. We would anticipate this to happen by the end of your first year, where you will take on your own suppliers and categories, securing the best deals and identifying new business areas to develop.
Business function : Trading
Department : Buying
Reports to : Buying Director
Job type : Full time, permanent
Location : Office based - S20, Sheffield
• Forecasting orders based on sales performance and market trends, ensuring we have sufficient stock of all repeatable lines through demand planning.
• Stock control - highlight slow selling lines and create an effective plan with your buyer to move stock efficiently through the business.
• Processing purchase orders ensuring they are entered on the system in a timely and accurate manner.
• Ensure data held within our internal systems is accurate and up to date.
• Market research and store visits where necessary.
• Offer review and product data analysis.
• Prospecting, nurturing and managing low priority suppliers.
• Preparing presentations to send to the Sales Team to offer new products, existing products, or products that have not yet been purchased.
• Product & range promotion via marketing and social media outlets.
• Covering absent buyers; including liaising with suppliers, analysing offers and managing stock received.
• Trade Show support during our attendance at the Spring & Autumn NEC Trade Show Fair.
• 2.1 Degree or equivalent with strong A Levels
• Proficient in Microsoft packages, particularly handling data in Excel
• A confident and articulate communicator, in both spoken and written correspondence
• Have a keen eye for detail but appreciation for the bigger picture and long term strategy
• You will be technically minded and problem solver, adept at running and reading reports to put actions into place
• Ability to follow instruction and work well as part of a team, but also use your initiative to question and seek out better ways of doing things.
• Organised, thorough and conscientious approach with the ability to multitask and prioritise
• Experience in working in a trading environment, whether that be sales or buying
• The role may require occasional travel so a driving license would be advantageous
What's in it for you
• Competitive starting salary
• Automatic enrolment into our company Pension Scheme
• Westfield health cash plan
• Access to all products in stock with staff discount
• Uncapped commission when carrying out the role of Sales Support
As we grow the team at Pricecheck, we want a certain kind of person to grow with us too. If you join us with a solid work ethic and clear ambition, along with a willingness to work hard and push yourself, progression opportunities at Pricecheck are a plenty.
If successful, you will be invited for an interview where we will assess your skill fit. The final stage will consist of a Company tour, the opportunity to meet some of the team and get a first-hand view of the role, finally concluding with a competency-based task.